Friday, June 08, 2007

Some things come totally unexpected. Last night, close to midnight, we got a call. From my mother. She called to say that one of our dogs had collapsed on the field, right before they wanted to go home.

At this moment, we have 8 dogs in our house.

4 of them are puppies; 51 days old
Then you have the puppies' mother; around 4 years or so
Then you have the dog who collapsed; 8 years old
Then you have our oldest dog; who is around 12 years old
And then you have the dog from the neighbours who is staying over because otherwise he had no place to go because his family is on a vacation (happens about twice a year).

You would expect the 12 year old dog to collapse; not the 8 year old. My mom was calm, but most worried. This dog has a somewhat defective heart...thingie. A heart murmer thingie or so.
So, my dad was asked to call the vet, which he did. He was redirected and finally got an assistant. She asked us to first check a few things, and if there was any problem, we could call again.

- Did she drink enough? (it was quite warm that day)
- Isn't she overheated?
- You said she had an infection and had gotten medicine, maybe she is sick of that.
- When you put her onto her paws, does she sink away, or does she keep on standing?
- When she gets home, see how she will act in this familiar enviroment.
- Check her gum; is it nice and pinkish?
- See if she wants to drink.

So, my mom came home and called to see if she could go to the vet. My dad informed her that the assistant asked her to check how she acts in home. So, my mom picked up up, carried her to the door... but had to put her down because she had to take the key. The door opened... and our dog simply walked inside the house, the room, happy as ever and went to take a drink.

We were totally stunned! There seemed nothing wrong any more! Of course, then you get the typical worried reaction: "What the heck is she doing now?! I thought she was sick!"

Well, she most likely was. It may have been a combination of things; the heat, maybe too little to drink, the medicin, her defective heart (niet goed afsluitende hartklep), things like that...

Mom took her to the vet today and she made an appointment for an echo next monday. Maybe her heart condition has worsened a bit. She did not only scare my mom, my dad, or me, but also the dog club my mom was when it happened! One of the people who saw it called and asked for my mom. "She's not home? Oh, I wanted to see how Holly was doing."
I informed her, but told her my mom could be more clear.

So yeah, little sleep tonight XD Dogs are everything in this home and this gave us all quite a scare. It seems Holly is doing fine, but no way will my mom take any risks with her!!

Oh, and I FINALLY got my Card Captor Sakura Manga collection COMPLETE! Not only that, I got a box with gifts from Rocket Stevo! With Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Manga; the Short Stories! HE ROCKS!!!

No comments: