Thursday, January 08, 2004

One of the wisest pieces of advice my father gave to me, concerning bad comments about my work:
'Listen to it, nod, and take from it what you think is valuable for you. You don't have to do anything with it, but if you do, do something with it as well. Never defend yourself. Listen, and nod. Then do with it what you like.'
This piece of advice has helped me a lot with handling bad comments about my work. I care a lot about my work, and I still have trouble with dealing with bad comments. But, if someone doesn't like my work, I simply think: 'Okay, so be it. Can't help it. Their opinion'.
Thinking like that has given me a lot of peace, even though some bad comments sometimes still sting. As long as they don't go all Idols-jury-like XD. Things like: 'It sucks' isn't really a helpfull comment, but it does sting. Mostly because they don't say why, and because most of the time I put my heart and soul in it.
But, in time, it'll pass. Heck, about 50% of the people who heard me sing thinks I sing off key. The other 50% say I'm not that bad or even good. So, should I hate those 50 people who say I sing off key? Nah. Why should I? Heck, my taste is not their taste!
Just like my art. There are people who hate it, or (the kind of people I really hate) always seem to be looking for an error. And sometimes they are not even straight about it.
Come to think of it, some people really need to think before they comment. I've met some people online and they bluntly say things! They don't think! THINK PEOPLE! THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE OR TALK.
Come to think of it... I should start doing that too XD. Oh, and never assume. Never assume people will think it's okay you trace or alter their art. Never assume people will know what =D or XD will mean XD.
So, what is this rant actually about? Something about bad comments. To those who get bad comments: listen to it, and take from it what you think is useful. Throw the rest away.
People who give bad comments: have you ever thought about HOW you should say things? Be straight, don't sugar-coat it, but don't say bluntly something like: Nice picture, but the legs are waaaaay too long (long is a subjective term! It's an opinion! The artist might think the size is just right!). Rather type: Nice picture *study other pictures and define wheter or not the long legs is a kind of style*, even though in my opinion the legs are a bit too long.
And! Very important! If you point out something bad, also point out something good! And not like: Nice pic, impossible pose. Rather: Nice pic, pose looks difficult to perform, but the hair is great!
At least.... that's what MY opinion is and the way I like to receive comments ^_^. And I think more people like it that way. (but that is just opinion)
Ah, I feel a lot better now!! WOOHOO!
Thanks for listning and if you feel completely different...... I DUN CARE! WOOHOO!

No comments: