Friday, January 07, 2005

I'm quite sad now. My heart is already sad because of what happened in Asia. But now, I got a mail about my site Tsunami. A very inappropriate titel at this moment, I agree, but what stung me more was: 'because you're a Dutchy, you probably don't give a shit about what happened in Asia'. I made my site in November; how was I supposed to know a Tsunami would come in December? Plus, I'm a water lover. I always see the beauty AND the destruction that lies in the water.
The girl didn't demand I changed the name, but she did ask for a notice telling I'm not affiliated with Asia. Why would anyone call their site Tsunami now? I decided to keep the name; to help me remember what happened.
And that I don't care? Then why do I feel sad when I talk to my sister and a friend of mine? My friend couldn't find his friend that lives there. Fortunately he was on vacation that day. My sister had a collegue who went there to burry his brother around the 20th of December. He's now back, after burrying the rest of his family.
I wished I could do more than donate money. All small things help; that was proven yesterday. We raised, the Netherlands as a whole, 115 million euro's.
Even though Asia is very far away from us, and even though we're a small country... we do care. You don't need to tell us about water disasters (1953).
Why would anyone think I wouldn't care about Asia? I don't need to prove myself... but I wonder who thought this more through. That girl, who mailed me, or me.

No comments: