Saturday, November 30, 2002

Okay people, listen up! Apparently someone needs to tell this, and it's really important:
The fact that I live in the Netherlands does not mean I'm stuck in the past! Over the past few weeks people told me asked me the following things:

'Wow! They didn't dub Titanic? But how can you understand it then?'
Simple people, we had some genius who invented sub-titles. Almost every movie is played in it's ORIGINAL version. Only for the kids we dub some movies and the original version is then available as well.

'If I come to the Netherlands, won't people stare at me? I'm *insert country-name*.'
No. And why? Because there is no such thing as a Dutch culture. All kinds of races are mixed here. People don't stare at you if you are a certain race. Then we would have stiff necks of staring at each other. We are not some isolated country; we've always been a trading-nation.

'I don't speak Dutch, how will people understand me?'
Most people our age have graduated with English as a major. We know most people speak English, that's why kids from about 10 years old already start getting english lessons. Even old people speak a dash of English here!

(added by F@ceman:)
'You forgot to tell that we take shifts at putting our finger in the dykes. Each Dutch person is obligated to stand there one hour!'

So people, listen carefully!
We are not ISOLATED. We DO NOT wear clogs/ wooden shoes. There are hardly any WINDMILLS left. The tulips are ONLY at the 'Keukenhof' and some gardens; they are NOT typically dutch. We SUBTITLE the movies. MOST people speak ENGLISH. How on earth do you think I could talk to you now?!

Mm, maybe I'm this moody because I had to work 1 hour extra because there was a freaking lot of mail. Bwech. At least I heard a happy song yesterday...

We moeten DOORGAAN!
..Kijk daar loopt mijn vriendje...
We moeten...DOORGAAN!
..Hé, achter wie loopt hij nou weer aan?
We moeten DOOOORGAAAAN
....Dan maar....alleen....

(I should take my teachers to 'Idols')


No comments: