Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy End?

Well, today was one of the worst days... with possibly a little happily ever after...

In my youth, I used to have cassette tapes with fairytales; Lekturama's Luister Sprookjes (the red tapes and books) and I really enjoyed them. However, Cassette Players are getting rare nowadays, so I wanted to convert them to MP3.

The first cassette deck we had broke down within 3 second. Very crappy, but we had plenty left.
The second cassette deck gave bad quality, but at least it worked.
The third cassette deck gave great sound... but was suddenly broken down this morning.
The second cassette deck suddenly gave even worse quality.

So, feeling totally craptastic, I decided to buy a 'cassette to mp 3'-set. Since the stores were open this sunday because of St. Nicolas, mom and I decided to go.

The first store said they never had them, while their site said they had.
The second store did have one, but refused to sell it to me since it was the last one they had left. The Floor model. They could order one for me though... But still, this set had to remain in the store so the people knew what they sold... while they had none in stock!
The third store... I already wanted to give up, but the man suggested calling a linked store for me. And they had one left! (I should have been nicer to that man, but being refused to buy something had totally pissed me off. I hope he can forgive me...)
So, we hurried to the fourth store and yes... there it was! Even kept behind the counter especially for me! I still wasn't miss Peachy still (and I'm still a bit ill-ish). Btw, this set was 1/3rd of the price of the big set I was refused to buy.

I get home, install the software, hook things up... and it doesn't work. Odd. I open the set, turn the cassette around... still nothing happens. I open the set... and the tape is wound around the spools!
Totally in panic, I quickly put it on the table and left the room.

Later that evening, mom looked at the set and phew, she could easily unwind the spools and the tape and the set were saved. And thank goodness, now it works! I can FINALLY turn my storybooks fairytales into mp3! It will take a while, 39 x 90 minutes and then splitting it all... and then my Alfred J. Kwak tapes... And my 2 Sesame Street tapes, but at least my niece can enjoy the same stories her mom and I enjoyed...

Mm, maybe I can also MP3 the Toddler Tapes we had... I wonder where those 2 are...

7 comments:

Kiyoshi said...

At MegaGadgets they have a USB Walkman, which is cheap and easy over USB, I am considering to buy it.

Kitty Ocean said...

I have a Ion Tape Express and it works (finally)

Lianne said...

Were those tapes in really big red plastic boxes? I might have the same ones still gathering dust in a closet. Those were great! Oh, and I even have a cd with a 'Jip en Janneke' story AND 'Een fluitje van een cent.' I can still sing along those songs XD.

Kitty Ocean said...

Well, they are called Lekturama's Luistersprookjes, zo I think as soon as you get the cassettes, you know for certain XD They were red indeed...

Kiyoshi said...

Where did you buy the Tape Express?

Cheapest I have seen so far is Telegraaf Shop 49 euro

Lianne said...

I checked, they're the same ones! :D

Kitty Ocean said...

I bought it at Dixons; also 49 euros... or 49,99 or so